Monthly Archives: June 2021

Five Key Documents You Must Have When Applying For A UK Spouse Visa

Five Key Documents You Must Have When Applying For A UK Spouse Visa

It is easy to forget how important supporting documents are when applying for a UK Spouse Visa. But many applications are refused because the correct documents were not included, ordered incorrectly, or contained the wrong information. With the fee for a UK Spouse Visa now at over £1,500, few can afford to make such an error.

The documents you will need to include with your application will depend on your circumstances. This is why investing in advice from an experienced Immigration Solicitor is well worth it. They will take the time to understand you and your spouse’s situation and tailor your application to ensure its strengths are highlighted and any weaknesses explained.

Your included documents are designed to support the fact that you and your spouse meet the eligibility criteria for a UK Sponsor Licence –

UK spouse requirements:

You must be:

  • over 18 years
  • be a British or Irish citizen, or have Indefinite Leave to Remain, or have Pre-Settled or Settled Status, or have refugee or humanitarian status
  • meet the Minimum Income Requirements
  • have suitable accommodation
  • applicant requirements

You must be:

  • over 18 years
  • have met your spouse and have been married in a way recognised by UK law
  • have a good knowledge of English
  • There are five key documents you must include in your UK Spouse Visa application to support the fact that you both meet the above requirements. They are:
  • One – Proof that one spouse has British Citizenship or is a Settled person

    Both of you need to include your current and previously held passports. If the sponsoring spouse has Indefinite Leave to Remain, it will be shown as a vignette in their passport. Settled Status and Pre-Settled Status can be checked online.

    Two – Your marriage certificate

    It is often the most obvious documents that are forgotten. Your marriage certificate is proof that your marriage is lawful. If your marriage certificate is not in English, you need to provide a translation.

    A marriage certificate is not enough to prove your relationship is genuine – after all, anyone can get married for convenience. To increase your chances of a successful application, you should include documents such as emails, messages, and letters that you have sent each other, statements from family and friends, photos of you spending time together, copies of joint bank statements, and proof that you have been living together. There is no set formula for proving your relationship is genuine so include as much information as you can.

    Three – A letter from your employer and payslips

    The sponsoring spouse must be able to prove that they meet the Minimum Income Requirement of £18,600 (this increases if dependent children are included in your application). Therefore, you need to include 12 months’ worth of payslips, bank statements, your employment contract, and a letter from your employer confirming your employment status.

    Four – Evidence that you meet the English language requirement

    If you are not from one of the countries exempt from providing proof you can speak English (these are nations such as New Zealand, America, and Canada where English is the main language) you will need to provide evidence that you have sat an approved English language test.

    For your results to be accepted, your test must:

    • be on the list of approved English language tests
    • have been taken at an approved test location
    • have been awarded in the two years before the date of your application

    Those applying for a UK Spouse Visa only need to take an English language speaking and listening test.

    Five – Proof you have a decent place to live as a married couple

    The person assessing your application must be satisfied that you and your spouse have adequate accommodation. Adequate means that the property is free from overcrowding and does not contravene public health regulations.

    You can live with others; however, you must have space (even if it is just one bedroom) of your own.

    Proof of accommodation can include a letter from your landlord, housing association, mortgage lender, or family or friend with whom you are living with. The letter must confirm how many people are living at the property and that it is not overcrowded.

    To find out more about applying for a UK Spouse Visa, please phone us on 0121 777 7715 to make an appointment with one of our Immigration Solicitors based in Birmingham and London.

    UK Migration Lawyers is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA Number 497640). Accredited immigration Law Solicitors. UK Migration Lawyers Ltd. / All rights reserved. Company Registration No 06702262 / Registered in England and Wales.